Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Replacing passwords.lst

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 15:33:00 -0600

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 15:19:24 -0600 Kris Katterjohn
I haven't closely read this thread, but I thought I'd reply with the
following which you may not know.  Sorry if this is out of place.

When implementing the unpwdb nselib, I made the password list Nmap
uses, based off of the myspace1.txt list from back when.  There is a
master list (37000+ entries) with frequencies that is used to create
the passwords.lst (currently 200 entries) for nselib.

Ahh, that explains why it did so well against the myspace list. I was wondering where the original came from!

I have the full original list, without the usernames, mirrored on my wiki. That's where I got the test data from.
--
Ron Bowes
http://www.skullsecurity.org