Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Latest dist v5.2

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 14:18:00 -0800

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 05:31:42PM -0600, Ron wrote:
Have you (or anyone else) tested to make sure this will solve the
problem? If not, I guess what we'll have to do is build the installer
and submit it to the same links as in
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2010/q1/211.

No, I didn't test it, but somebody commented that changing just the
first bit is enough to overcome the scanner. I change every bit,
though, and the encoder isn't built in, so there isn't really any way
an a/v scanner would pick it up.

We should have tested :(.  Now I'm getting reports that
nmap_services.exe triggers Panda Antivirus W32/Xor-encoded.A:

http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/threat-information/Xor-encoded.A/194318/

VirusTotal finds that as well:

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/5938478eb7195e53ba408b6fc390b35f2ccff6e68b761da4a5dfab97f3164a9c-1264630143

-F