Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: nmap mac osx 10.6.1 Network scans only return results for local host

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 22:25:16 -0700

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 09:07:31PM -0500, David Radunsky wrote:
So I must be loosing my mind.  If I run without root privilege I get the
scan I was expecting.  I thought I needed root to do a full scan.

I do get a report that I am not root so it won't use ICMP.

I apologize for pestering.

You didn't do anything wrong--Nmap is supposed to work running as root,
just as you did it. There is a bug in Mac OS X 10.6 that keeps it from
working, that we've only recently started to figure out.

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q4/277

If you're using using the 5.00 .dmg installer, you can work around the
problem by running tcpdump in the background before you start your scan.

sudo tcpdump -i en0 -n

You may have to change the "en0" to another interface depending on which
addresses you're scanning.

David Fifield