Nmap Development mailing list archives

NMAP Issue with Ping

From: Louay Saleh <lsaleh77 () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 22:30:07 -0800 (PST)

Dear All,

I have a strange issue when using Nmap. I have a personal firewall. When it is enabled, I always get that the target of
the scanning as down (although I am sure that the target is up since I did normal ping from my CMD and it was
replying!) and I have to use the -PN switch. I thought my firewall was blocking the received packets of the TCP ping,
but when I tried to do a Ping scan (using the -sP swicth, in order to do ICMP ping), I got the same issue. If I disable
my firewall, everything is OK. I revised my firewall rules, but I could not find anything blocking the reply from
either the TCP ping and the Ping scans of Nmap. It is very strange....this means that the firewall blocks only the ping
replies (whether TCP or ICMP) related to Nmap, and allows the normal ping. This is the only conclusion I reached, but
why is that?

I appreciate your help in advance.

Best Regards,

He who learns but does not think, is lost!
He who thinks but does not learn is in great danger.

Confucius
(551-479 BC)