Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap mac osx 10.6.1 Network scans only return results for local host

From: Tom Sellers <nmap () fadedcode net>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 22:01:12 -0600

David Radunsky wrote:
Good Day,

Thanks in advance for your assistance.  nmap is an invaluable tool!

After upgrading to Snow Leopard all scans return only information about my machine. Session information follows. Wireshark seems to be working, but I don't have a lot of traffic on my small net to test. The nmap scan leaves off the firewall at 242.1, and a printer at 242.4.

<snip>

David,

        We, as well as some other projects, have been seeing some odd
behavior with Snow Leopard.  Could you please try running your scan as
a normal user instead of root and let us know if the result changes?
You will likely have to drop the -PE to do this.

Also, Apple released 10.6.2 today.  They may have addressed the bpf
problem with that update.

Tom