Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: man page translations

From: Alexander Khodyrev <spxnezzar () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 15:35:27 +0300

Could you share a link to the documentation on the creation of man-pages for
different languages, I would pereel man-pages into Russian.

Best regards,
Khodyrev "SpxnezzaR" Alexander

2009/11/6 David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>

Hi,

I took a shot at doing these TODO items:

o We should package the rendered Nroff man page translations (e.g. all
 16 languages) in the tarball to make it easier for distributors to
 package them.  For example, see
 http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=358336.  Including
 the translations would add 2.5MB to the (currently 28MB)
 uncompressed tarball and about 800KB to the (currently 9MB) bz2
 compressed tarball.

o Once all the man page languages are in the Nmap tarball, we should
 update our install system to install them in the appropriate place.
 We'll want to integrate this with configure so users can decide which
 languages they want.  David thinks the standard way is like
 "--enable-nls=es,de,hr,..." or --disable-nls for English only.

In doing this I tried to match standard behavior of other packages as
much as possible, so I'm writing here to document what I understand that
to be.

The translated man pages are installed by default. They go under paths
like this:

/usr/share/man/de/man1/nmap.1
/usr/share/man/es/man1/nmap.1

At least on my system, this works to read the translations:

LANG=es_ES man nmap

I think that installing translations by default is standard behavior. I
have a lot of /usr/share/man/<code> directories on my Debian system. To
install no translated man pages, and only the English one, configure with

./configure --disable-nls

I was wrong about the --enable-nls=... syntax. To install only a subset
of the available languages, define the environment variable LINGUAS when
installing. This matches the behavior for the installation of gettext
catalogs.

LINGUAS="de es" make install

David Fifield