Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: man page translations

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 19:38:32 -0700

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 04:15:19PM -0800, Fyodor wrote:
On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 02:13:46PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
I think that installing translations by default is standard behavior. I
have a lot of /usr/share/man/<code> directories on my Debian system.

I have those directories, but even the largest of them is less than
10% the size of my English man pages.

I was wrong about the --enable-nls=... syntax. To install only a subset
of the available languages, define the environment variable LINGUAS when
installing. This matches the behavior for the installation of gettext
catalogs.

LINGUAS="de es" make install

This sounds like a good way for people who don't want the extra man
pages to deal with it.  As you note, it will help with other packages
and with gettext catalogs too.  If we only want English, I guess we
should just set LINGUAS to "en"?  Setting it empty might work for Nmap
too, but perhaps other packages have a non-English default language?

To get only English, you should use --disable-nls. English is always
installed, in the special /usr/share/man/man1 location. LINGUAS=en
doesn't work:

/usr/bin/install: cannot stat `docs/nmap-en.1': No such file or directory

But I think I should make it not be an error if LINGUAS contains
language codes that are not among the translations we offer.

Assuming we settle on this approach (i.e. if nobody proposes something
different), can you document this in the install guide?

Yes, will do.

David Fifield