Nmap Development mailing list archives

Warning message enhancement idea

From: Chris Clements <cclements () flatearth net>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 16:37:19 -0600

Often times with slow links or comically overzealous scan tuning, nmap informs me that it is giving up on a particular port:

Warning:  Giving up on port early because of retransmission cap hit.

While getting this message is fantastic for knowing that I should adjust my timings, it would be much more useful if it included a bit more information, such as the particular host / port, as well as the retransmission cap for the scan (yes I should know this from my own command switches, but they might be out of my scroll buffer by the time the warning occurs). I'm thinking this would help single out an unusually slow host or application if the rest of the systems were responding in a timely fashion. Just an idea I had- thanks for such a great tool!

Chris Clements