Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Unmask Parasites. Blog.] "Dynamic DNS and Botnet of Zombie Web Servers"

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 16:40:50 -0500

On 09/13/2009 04:12 PM, David Fifield wrote:
What hosts should we be testing? I don't have a list of possibly
infected hostnames. I ran the script against my server and got "appears
to be clean" for ports 80 and 443.
I should have been more clear. In my message, I listed an infected server (in the part I forwarded). Assuming it's still infected, when you scan it, it sends you to another, and another, and so on. So using that, it seemed to identify all infected hosts without issue (I went a few deep). I was actually more concerned about false positives than anything else.

I don't think there will be any issues, though. It's a really simple script, and is basically the same as http-enum (except checking for a different HTTP status code). I just don't like to arbitrarily check things in without giving people a chance to say 'no'.

http-infected is a vague name. What other types of things do you see
this script checking for in the future?
I'm hoping to detect any legitimate server that's serving up malware. At the moment it's just the one, but I don't think it's an uncommon situation. I don't mind changing the name if somebody would like to suggest a better one. I'm not sure if the 'botnet' this detects has a specific name yet (though I haven't been following the stories).

David Fifield

Ron

--
Ron Bowes