Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Unmask Parasites. Blog.] "Dynamic DNS and Botnet of Zombie Web Servers"

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 18:36:46 -0600

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 04:40:50PM -0500, Ron wrote:
On 09/13/2009 04:12 PM, David Fifield wrote:
What hosts should we be testing? I don't have a list of possibly
infected hostnames. I ran the script against my server and got "appears
to be clean" for ports 80 and 443.
I should have been more clear. In my message, I listed an infected
server (in the part I forwarded). Assuming it's still infected, when you
scan it, it sends you to another, and another, and so on. So using that,
it seemed to identify all infected hosts without issue (I went a few
deep). I was actually more concerned about false positives than anything
else.

I don't think there will be any issues, though. It's a really simple
script, and is basically the same as http-enum (except checking for a
different HTTP status code). I just don't like to arbitrarily check
things in without giving people a chance to say 'no'.

I understand now. Here is what I got. The first server redirects to the
second, which redirects to a third, which redirects back to the second.

$ ./nmap --script=http-infected -F 174.143.25.37 -v
Starting Nmap 5.05BETA1 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-09-13 18:32 MDT
Host 174-143-25-37.slicehost.net (174.143.25.37) is up (0.10s latency).
Interesting ports on 174-143-25-37.slicehost.net (174.143.25.37):
Not shown: 86 closed ports
PORT     STATE    SERVICE
21/tcp   open     ftp
22/tcp   open     ssh
25/tcp   open     smtp
53/tcp   open     domain
80/tcp   open     http
|_ http-infected: Server appears to be clean
110/tcp  open     pop3
143/tcp  open     imap
443/tcp  open     https
|_ http-infected: Server appears to be clean
465/tcp  open     smtps
993/tcp  open     imaps
995/tcp  open     pop3s
1720/tcp filtered H.323/Q.931
3306/tcp open     mysql
8080/tcp open     http-proxy
|_ http-infected: Server appears to be infected (/ts/in.cgi?open2 redirects to http://cechl.webhop.info:8080/index.php)

$ ./nmap --script=http-infected -F cechl.webhop.info -v
Starting Nmap 5.05BETA1 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-09-13 18:32 MDT
Interesting ports on 67.223.232.29:
Not shown: 96 closed ports
PORT     STATE    SERVICE
22/tcp   open     ssh
80/tcp   open     http
|_ http-infected: Server appears to be clean
1720/tcp filtered H.323/Q.931
8080/tcp open     http-proxy
|_ http-infected: Server appears to be infected (/ts/in.cgi?open2 redirects to
http://blaauwvogelzang.servemp3.com:8080/index.php)

$ ./nmap --script=http-infected -F blaauwvogelzang.servemp3.com
Starting Nmap 5.05BETA1 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-09-13 18:34 MDT
Warning: File ./nmap-services exists, but Nmap is using /usr/share/nmap/nmap-services for security and consistency
reasons.  set NMAPDIR=. to give priority to files in your local directory (may affect the other data files too).
NSE: Script Scanning completed.
Interesting ports on forbookings.com (85.17.237.5):
Not shown: 81 closed ports
PORT     STATE    SERVICE
21/tcp   open     ftp
22/tcp   open     ssh
25/tcp   open     smtp
53/tcp   open     domain
80/tcp   open     http
|_ http-infected: Server appears to be clean
110/tcp  open     pop3
111/tcp  open     rpcbind
113/tcp  open     auth
135/tcp  filtered msrpc
139/tcp  filtered netbios-ssn
143/tcp  open     imap
443/tcp  open     https
|_ http-infected: Server appears to be clean
445/tcp  filtered microsoft-ds
587/tcp  open     submission
993/tcp  open     imaps
995/tcp  open     pop3s