Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Safe and Intrusive Category confusion

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 12:39:52 -0600

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 03:28:11AM -0700, Fyodor wrote:
Right now we have 20 scripts which aren't in "safe" or "intrusive".
Does anyone want to go through this list (reading the nsedoc and/or
script source) and add a short comment for each as to whether you
think it should be "safe" or not (and why) and then send the commented
list back to nmap-dev for discussion?

asn-query.nse
auth-spoof.nse
daytime.nse
dhcp-discover.nse
finger.nse
http-favicon.nse
http-headers.nse
http-malware-host.nse
http-trace.nse
http-userdir-enum.nse
iax2-version.nse
imap-capabilities.nse
irc-info.nse
pop3-capabilities.nse
pptp-version.nse
realvnc-auth-bypass.nse
skypev2-version.nse
smtp-open-relay.nse
smtp-strangeport.nse
sniffer-detect.nse

Patrick, how were you planning to break these down? We got sidetracked
on the issue of the "intrusive" category but that doesn't have to
prevent the identification of safe scripts from the list above.

David Fifield