Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Safe and Intrusive Category confusion

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 19:12:30 -0600

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 02:41:07AM -0400, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
I just was recently looking through some of the scripts' categories
and found some inconsistencies. Some of our scripts do not have an
intrusive or safe category. In previous discussions [1], the general
consensus was that safe and intrusive would be mutually exclusive
categories and each script would be in one of these two categories. I
did a check through our scripts to see which scripts were not safe and
not intrusive:

(I edited one extraneous line out and one should note that the last
script, ssh-hostkey.nse is both safe AND intrusive??). I want to go
ahead and fix these scripts but wanted to make sure that having each
script be "safe" XOR "default" is the way to go?

If this is the case, what do you think about deprecating intrusive and
using "not safe" instead?

I was trying to think of a reason not to have the safe XOR intrusive
rule, but I couldn't think of any scripts that would be considered both
safe and intrusive, or both not safe and not intrusive.

Also, I think we need to be more strict with category assignment
(possibly construct a more thorough description and requirements
document?) before acceptance into the trunk, just like NSEDoc. Some
scripts have only one category when they could fit in several (and
some are in the wrong categories, like ssh-hostkey.nse).

The best description of the criteria that should be used when assigning
categories is http://nmap.org/book/nse-usage.html#nse-categories.

David Fifield