Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Contributing to Nmap development

From: Rob Nicholls <robert () robnicholls co uk>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 12:22:02 +0100

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 14:20:42 +0530, Ravipriya Thushara
I read the TODO list and got these as interesting. But don't know if
any one is already
started doing these..

o Fix traceroute performance/algorithms....
o Windows 7 RTM Nmap testing ...

I didn't realise thst Windows 7 RTM Nmap testing was even on the todo
list! When did that appear?

Nmap (and Zenmap and Ncat) seems to work fine on my copies of Windows 7
Ultimate RTM x86 and x64, although I've not tried every kind of scan (7 is
so similar to Vista that the only change we needed to make was to our
WinPcap installer, which we did at the start of the year, no changes should
be required for Nmap itself). IIRC the only bug is the stable version's
installer does the wrong registry check and warns you that the Visual C++
2008 runtime components weren't installed (even though they were), but that
affects all Windows versions and I think was already fixed in SVN, so the
next stable build should correct that.

If I spot any other problems I'll let the list know, but I've been playing
around with Windows 7 RTM for over a month now and Nmap seems to be fine.

Rob