Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: bug with OS X

From: Corey Chandler <lists () sequestered net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 17:59:09 -0700

Tom Sellers wrote:
Brandon Enright wrote:

I'm running as admin on my OS X box, but not root. Do I have to be running as root on my Mac?

Well I don't know jack about OS X but I'm pretty sure "admin" is still
a non-root user.  You probably want to do "sudo nmap ...." and then
enter your user's password to get Nmap to run as root.

Unless I am mistaken or some other settings have been implemented, by default you have to use sudo to issue Terminal commands with root privileges, even if your account is an administrators. The same thing occurs during software updates.

Tom

You're correct.

For those of you using OS X (note: Macports is installed here; if you don't have it you'll need to tweak accordingly) to build the latest subversion builds, I humbly submit my updatenmap script:

#!/bin/bash
cd ~/sources/nmap
svn up && ./configure && make PYTHON=/opt/local/bin/python2.5 && sudo make install && sudo make distclean
/usr/local/bin/nmap -V

--
Corey Chandler / KB1JWQ
Living Legend / Systems Exorcist