Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Possible new device categories for service detection

From: Brandon Enright <bmenrigh () ucsd edu>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 22:53:31 +0000

On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 22:41:19 +0000 or thereabouts doug () hcsw org wrote:

On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 03:33:45PM -0700 or thereabouts, David
Fifield wrote:
On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 01:17:34PM -0800, Fyodor wrote:
o Change 'broadband modem' to 'broadband router' (some of the
other 99 in that category may technically be "modems" too).

When I add new fingerprints I try to use the category "broadband
router" only if the device connects directly to the broadband
service; i.e., it speaks ADSL or has a cable jack in back. A lot of
devices sold as broadband routers are really just ordinary
router/NAT devices that still need to plug in to one of the
aforementioned devices; for those I use "router". But I am sure a
lot of older prints don't follow this rule strictly.

Interesting. I haven't been making that distinction in the service
probes file. I have been considering any consumer router/NAT device
designed for cable or DSL to be "broadband router" unless it has
wireless capabilities, then it is a WAP.

Like Fyodor suggested I will write up a short description of each
of the categories and then we can revise them and make an official
list.

Doug

This is really a special case of the broader need to canonicalize
entries in the nmap-service-probes file.  I've canonicalize certain
groups of items like making most (all?) SOHO routers web configuration
servers be labeled with "http config" rather than all the other possible
variations.

We still need to canonicalize a whole bunch of entries though.  Off the
top of my head:

* Apache version reporting (the format is inconsistent)
* A bunch of company names (capitalization, spaces, etc)
* Service names in v// (telnet/telnetd/Telnet, HTTP/http/httpd, etc)
* OS names in o//
* Device categories
* Plenty of other things

In the past I've resisted making broad changes unless I know the an
entry is wrong or that the change is non-controversial.  As long as
there is a general consensus that changing a bunch of entries so that
they are consistent with each other is okay then I'll be happy to
canonicalize entries as I come across them.

Brandon