Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Mac OS X: failed to determine route

From: Corey Chandler <lists () sequestered net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 07:02:43 -0800

Dion Stempfley wrote:

On Jan 16, 2009, at 3:43 PM, Corey Chandler wrote:

Dion Stempfley wrote:

I am testing nmap 4.76 on my Macbook Air and I noticed an interesting problem. When I initially scan using root, I get an error. If I run the same command as a user and then try again as root it succeeds. Any thoughts on the inconsistency?

Strange, I'm running 10.5.6 and see no problems. Is there anything non-standard about your system (a firewall running, some security settings enabled)?

--
Corey Chandler / KB1JWQ
Living Legend / Systems Exorcist

Thanks for the reply,

I'm running 10.5.6 as well. The only thing I can think of is that I had installed Cisco VPN at one point, then removed it using the removal script. But I don't necessarily trust that Cisco subscribes to the "do no harm" method of product installation/uninstallation :) What is the best way to look at modules that might be loaded that affect the network interfaces?

Thanks,

/Dion

Hmm, when I saw this before I was using the Juniper OpenSSL VPN solution. Makes me wonder what happened there. CCing the list on this one, someone else may be more familiar with Mac OS's network stack than I.

--
Corey Chandler / KB1JWQ
Living Legend / Systems Exorcist
Today's Excuse: Your mail is being routed through Germany... and they're censoring us