Nmap Development mailing list archives

Mac OS X: failed to determine route

From: Dion Stempfley <dion.stempfley () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 11:45:25 -0500

I did a search but didn't find anything that exactly relates to my problem. Please forgive if this has been addressed in the past.

I am testing nmap 4.76 on my Macbook Air and I noticed an interesting problem. When I initially scan using root, I get an error. If I run the same command as a user and then try again as root it succeeds. Any thoughts on the inconsistency?

####################
bash-3.2# nmap -A -i en0 -iR 0
Failed to open input file en0 for reading
QUITTING!
bash-3.2# nmap -A -e en0 -iR 0

Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-01-16 11:34 EST
nexthost: failed to determine route to 222.76.243.193
QUITTING!

bash-3.2# exit
exit
Pluto:~ dion$ nmap -A -e en0 -iR 0

Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-01-16 11:34 EST
Warning: Unable to open interface en0 -- skipping it.
I cannot figure out what source address to use for device en0, does it even exist?
QUITTING!
Pluto:~ dion$ nmap -A  -iR 0

Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-01-16 11:34 EST

Pluto:~ dion$ sudo -s