Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Check for GTK+ and PyGTK in configure

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 18:57:00 -0600

On Sat, Oct 04, 2008 at 12:00:22PM -0600, David Fifield wrote:
On Sat, Oct 04, 2008 at 11:51:30AM -0600, David Fifield wrote:
On Sat, Oct 04, 2008 at 10:41:26AM +0100, Luis A. Bastiao Silva wrote:
Well, I didn't know if I should post it.
But after made svn update, I tried configure nmap.
Just a simple command:
./configure --prefix=/usr

And just for the record:

checking for /usr/bin/python platform... (cached) linux2
checking for /usr/bin/python script directory... (cached)
${prefix}/lib/python2.5/site-packages
checking for /usr/bin/python extension module directory... (cached)
${exec_prefix}/lib/python2.5/site-packages
checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.8.0... no
*** Could not run GTK+ test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for
the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK+ is incorrectly
installed.
configure: WARNING: Not building Zenmap because GTK+ 2.8.0 or later was not
found

Thanks. That is unexpected. Can you send me config.log file?

Oh, and what happens if you run

./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-gtktest

The error you saw might have happened because the configure test is
trying to compile and link a GTK+ program, when you might have only the
runtime files installed. We don't need the development files for PyGTK,
just the runtime, so if that test works I'll adjust the configure test
not to try to compile a GTK+ program.

I did some research, and it turns out both of the new configure tests
require development versions of the libraries they tested. They both
looked for pkg-config's .pc files, which at least on Debian are not in
the main packages but in the development packages (compare
http://packages.debian.org/etch/all/python-gtk2/filelist and
http://packages.debian.org/etch/all/python-gtk2-dev/filelist).
Additionally the GTK+ test tried to compile a program, as was noted. So
I have reverted the tests. The PyGTK one could be replaced with a little
test that just tried importing the gtk module and reading the version
number, but it's not very important.

David Fifield