Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Local IP geolocation script

From: Philipp Emanuel Weidmann <philipp.weidmann () gmx de>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 21:23:35 +0100

Hi Fyodor & jah,

I fully support a standardized naming convention for script files. However, e.g. with the script "netbios-smb-os-discovery.nse" in a standard terminal window the script name is more than half the output line which IMO is serious overkill. If the only concern is users being able to find the scripts that showed the information relevant to them, how about adding a command line switch in Nmap which displays " (generated by [scriptname])" after each script output (a "verbose" mode for scripts) which can be run when this information is needed and stay silent otherwise?

I think it would also be a killer feature for Zenmap if in the Command Profile editor's "Scripting" tab, one had a list control showing all the scripts currently in the "scripts" directory, along with their descriptions taken from the files and a checkbox next to each one signalling Zenmap to run this script. That would quite clearly change the way the "average" user deals with scripts and bring this "advanced" feature much closer to the surface, placing control comfortly at the user's fingertips.

Regards,
Philipp