Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] script IDs

From: jah <jah () zadkiel plus com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 19:42:05 +0000

On 18/11/2008 10:01, Philipp Emanuel Weidmann wrote:
However, as I said I am not familiar with the dev history of NSE and
therefore do not know what caused the decision to deprecate the "id"
tag (I am sure that there are several good reasons for it). I would be
glad if someone could tell me.
Hi Philipp,

I too thought, at first, that this [1] was a bit of a backward step
since I was fond of creating short script names (so that it's easier to
call them by name on the command line) and much more expressive script
IDs for the output.
I'm sold on the idea now, however, because many of the script names have
been changed [2] and now fit a well considered naming scheme which, as
well as the benefits Fyodor mentioned, makes remembering the names of
scripts much easier and the script names are also now descriptive enough
for the script output.  So it's a good step forward and will also help a
great deal as more and more scripts are added to the collection.

Regards,

jah

[1] - http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2008/q4/0373.html
[2] - http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2008/q4/0392.html