Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Local IP geolocation script

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 07:20:05 -0600

Philipp Emanuel Weidmann wrote:
Hi jah!

Wow... you made an incredible number of improvements on the script. I
wholeheartedly support all of them! Your changes also painfully reminded
me of my lua deficiencies, especially where it parses the data... The
datafiles.parsefile function I was unaware of, and it is certainly
perfect here.

You also surprised me by saying that the "id" tag is going to be
deprecated and only the file name will be output in the future... I do
not want to appear ignorant given that I (sadly) have not been involved
in the development of NSE at all, but this strikes me as a step in the
wrong direction since it even *lowers* the amount of control the script
has over how its output appears. The first thing I ever missed from the
otherwise fantastic NSE was how little control the script had over its
output! I was considering trying to add several features for that, like
a very simple markup language that when used in the returned string
would modify the behavior of Nmap when placing the string in the output:
In some instances the script might want to add information to the line
"Interesting ports on..." where the host IP is given - for example those
scripts dealing directly with the IP address (in which case the
information should be close together). Also, a lot of time you do not
want the "[scriptname]:" part of the output currently forced by NSE to
appear at all which sometimes clutters up the output unneccessarily.
Ideally, the script should be able to append (or possibly even modify)
text freely in every section of the output. It might also be very nice
to add some kind of simple markup by which the script can control
bold/italic/color of its output when rendered in Zenmap, highlighting
important information.

However, as I said I am not familiar with the dev history of NSE and
therefore do not know what caused the decision to deprecate the "id" tag
(I am sure that there are several good reasons for it). I would be glad
if someone could tell me.

Best regards,
Philipp

While I agree that removing the 'id' was a step in the right direction,
I do completely agree that some work needs to be done on the output. I
think there's a lot of potential for richer output.
--
Ron Bowes
http://www.skullsecurity.org/