Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap bug building task list on full port scan

From: "7aW0lf 7aW0lf" <7aw0lf () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 23:26:04 +0100

Hi folks,

I am sending you this email to report a strange bug:

ping_sweep.ips --> contains 17 ips

The Full TCP and UDP scan finds all 17:
nmap -P0 -n -v -iL ping_sweep.ips -sU -sS -sV -O  -oA full_scan.tcp -p-

Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2008-10-18 16:27 IST
Initiating SYN Stealth Scan at 16:27
Scanning 17 hosts [65535 ports/host]

If I remove -sU it only finds 4 (this is the bug):
nmap -P0 -n -v -iL ping_sweep.ips -sV -O  -oA full_scan.tcp -p-

Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2008-10-18 16:30 IST
Initiating SYN Stealth Scan at 16:30
Scanning 4 hosts [65535 ports/host]

As a temporary workaround I am scanning 1 UDP port on the TCP scan, which
works:
nmap -PN -n -v -iL ping_sweep.ips -sS -sU -sV -O  -oA full_scan.tcp -p
T:-,U:53

Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2008-10-18 16:31 IST
Initiating SYN Stealth Scan at 16:31
Scanning 17 hosts [65535 ports/host]

However I should not have to scan any UDP ports, i'm saying "scan these
hosts using a SYN Scan and scan all ports" and it should just work (which is
not the case).

Oddly enough if I perform the same SYN scan for a single IP it works ok:
nmap -P0 -n -v 192.168.9.220 -sS -sV -O  -oA full_scan.tcp -p-

Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2008-10-18 16:24 IST
Initiating SYN Stealth Scan at 16:24
Scanning 192.168.9.220 [65535 ports]

Thanks in advance and please keep up the great work.

All the best,

7aW0lf