Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Detecting a single open port

From: Jack Grahl <mnvl16 () yahoo co uk>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 22:08:40 +0000 (GMT)

Jack Grahl wrote:
It would be useful to have an nmap mode which stops as soon as it has detected
a single open port (per host).

What about TCP Ping scan? nmap -sP -PT80,25,22... might not be enough for what
you want...

This is almost enough. I would like it to tell me the number of the port which is open, rather than just . I would also
like it to use the portlist which I believe is built into nmap, and which optimizes finding an open port after as few
tries as possible (and which includes all ports). Doing a SYN scan as a ping test at the moment without a portlist
means just port 80 is scanned.

However, I see now that it is possible to do the above by scripting nmap to repeatedly do a TCP Ping to a single port,
so perhaps it isn't a necessity.

Jack