Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE Online Documentation - some minor issues

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 10:39:21 -0600

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 09:58:51PM +0100, jah wrote:
I wrestled LuaLogging into submission and got it to log messages from
luadoc to the console.  I don't know whether it's my lua installation
that prevented it from working out of the box, but if you have
LuaLogging installed and it doesn't work for you either then you might
be interested in the attached util.lua.patch for
nsedoc/src/luadoc/util.lua - it's nothing more than a dirty hack, but
having this info is quite useful as I'll demonstrate.

Good call. I made a change like the one you suggested.

  INFO generating file `docs/modules/nmap.html'
  ERROR unresolved reference to symbol `nmap.new_dnet'
  ERROR unresolved reference to symbol `socket:pcap_register'
  ERROR unresolved reference to symbol `socket:pcap_open'

The above stem from the inability to generate href attributes for links
in @see tags and happen because the code compares the the function name
(as found in the document) to the function name (as found in the @see
tag), but with the module name (or object) stripped.
e.g. if "socket:pcap_register" == "pcap_register" then ..
which clearly won't match and the href attribute won't be created (and
the html anchor will point to the current document rather than to a
specific function).

There's a couple of approaches we could take to solve this.  The first
would be to correct the affected luadoc file such that function names
aren't prepended with objects or module names.  This is how it's done in
other libraries and scripts, but would require an example in a usage tag
to make it clear how the function should be called e.g
   --- description
   -- @usage socket = nmap.new_socket()
   function new_socket()

I think this is the best approach too so I made the changes in
nmap.luadoc and the other .luadoc files.

David Fifield