Nmap Development mailing list archives

nmap doesn't pick the interface that is up

From: "Robin Wood" <dninja () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 23:40:00 +0100

Hi
I have eth0 with IP address 192.168.0.2 on my wired network. I have an
AP that I thought had an IP address on its wireless interface in the
192.168.0.0 subnet so I took down eth0 and brought wlan0 up with ip
address 192.168.0.22 and then tried to port scan the subnet with the
command nmap -sP 192.168.0.0/24 but got this message:

eth0 192.168.0.2 but down

Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2008-10-17 23:04 BST
pcap_open_live(eth0, 100, 0, 200) FAILED. Reported error: bind:
Network is down.  Will wait 5 seconds then retry.

As wlan0 was up on the subnet I would have expected nmap to use it
before trying eth0. As soon as I changed the IP address of eth0,
leaving it down, nmap successfully scanned on the wireless network.

Is this a bug? If not, it is definitely unexpected behaviour.

Robin