Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap and IPv6

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 22:42:25 -0500

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 10:28 PM, Kris Katterjohn <> wrote:
Dunno, but here is a more informative error messge.
CONN (0.2710s) TCP localhost > fe80::210:5aff:fe1d:5c3f:22 => Invalid argument

I did a fancier scan and ended up with 2000 of those.
depriest@hole:~$ grep "Invalid argument" nmap-ipv6.nmap | wc -l
2000

I am attaching the log file for someone who knows more about nmap -6 to look at.

I think you just need to specify the interface to use via the perfect syntax
(see below).  This is required because link-local addresses are
interface-specific.  I added support for this syntax for link-local scanning
in Nmap this past May:

o Nmap now understands the RFC 4007 percent syntax for IPv6 Zone IDs.
 On Windows, this ID has to be a numeric index.  On Linux and some
 other OS's, this ID can instead be an interface name.  Some examples
 of this syntax:
   fe80::20f:b0ff:fec6:15af%2
   fe80::20f:b0ff:fec6:15af%eth0
 [Kris]

If you haven't already seen it, you may be interested in HD Moore's recent
paper[1] on IPv6, which also happens to mention the above support in Nmap.

Thanks in advance folks.

-Jason

Thanks,
Kris Katterjohn

[1] http://www.milw0rm.com/papers/233

You are correct.

I have used the %{number} format in Windows XP but didn't know how to
tell Linux the same thing.  %{interface} is good to know.

I am dumb.  But I ask questions.

-Jason