Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [RFC] Redoing Ncat's Proxy Options

From: Dirk Loss <lists () dirk-loss de>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 21:47:42 +0200

Hi Kris,

I really like your ideas for redoing Ncat's proxy options:

Just like --ssl means either connect
with SSL or listen with SSL solely depending on -l (so there's no --ssl-server
or some other redundant nonsense).

That's great. Less redundant, logical and easier to remember.

Sounds good to me.  I actually prefer defaulting to HTTP, but I figured more
people used SOCKS so defaulting to that would be better.

I have no real preference on whether to use SOCKS5 or HTTP as the default.

But I would prefer the parameters 'socks4' and 'socks5' over '4' and '5'. IMHO the longer forms are more readable, more consistent with 'http' and therefore easier to remember. Moreover, I think "-X socks5" is quite self-documenting while "-X 5" is not. And 'socks4' and 'socks5' are still quite short and easy to type.

  -x, --proxy
  -X, --proxy-type
  -P, --proxy-auth

IMHO that's a good idea. I don't really like the "user:pass@" style or something like "--x-auth".

It's just that mixing the short forms with --proxy-auth, or the long forms
with --x-auth, don't go well together IMO,

I guess most people will either use the long forms or the short forms, so that would be no real issue.

Regards
Dirk