Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [RFC] Redoing Ncat's Proxy Options

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:40:29 -0500

On 10/10/2008 09:24 AM, jah wrote:
On 10/10/2008 03:36, Kris Katterjohn wrote:
* Is moving in this direction a good idea?  I'm very much for it.
I think so too.

Great.

* If so, what option names should be used?  I'm OK with -x and -X, but
what do
you guys like?
x is good.  How would one specify a server, -l {port} -X {type}?

Pretty much, but -l doesn't take a port number anymore.  One of the first
bigger changes I made when I started working on Ncat this summer was to
redesign it to take the address and port to bind to just like it does a
host/port to connect to rather than using -l and -s.  You can see the r8740
log for a better explanation on this.  Oh, but sorry if you knew this but I
mistook your example :)

But otherwise, yep, that's the plan.  Just like --ssl means either connect
with SSL or listen with SSL solely depending on -l (so there's no --ssl-server
or some other redundant nonsense).

* Should the -X equivalent option default to anything?  OpenBSD Netcat
defaults to SOCKS5.
It might be simplest to default to http.  Then we'd only need -X, -X4
and -X5.

Sounds good to me.  I actually prefer defaulting to HTTP, but I figured more
people used SOCKS so defaulting to that would be better.

Any objections here?

* Instead of -X taking "4" (SOCKS4), "5" (SOCKS5) and "connect" (HTTP
CONNECT)
like OpenBSD Netcat does, I think just using "socks4", "socks5" and
"http" is
better.  However, I'm not super-set either way.  Opinions?
I like http better than connect.  I like just 5 rather than socks5, but
I suppose both types of option might be allowed.

OK--if there are no objections of course--"http", "4" and in the future "5"
will be the official, documented ones, and I may or may not (probably not) add
the socks* equivalents as synonyms.

So if anybody prefers the socks* ones, speak now :)

* What about the proxy authentication option (currently --proxy-auth)?  I
would like this to be similar to the names of the other proxy options, but
using -x and -X would throw that out the window (OpenBSD Netcat uses
-P).  One
possibility is to just drop this option and allowing for
"user@socksproxy" and
"user:pass@httpproxy" syntax in the -x equivalent option, but I'm not 100%
behind that one.
I guess we'd have to stick with a long option, something like --xauth,
--x-auth, -auth would be reasonable.

Aside from using just -x, -X and --proxy-auth, here is the first set of
options that came to my mind:

 --proxy addr[:port]
 --proxy-type {socks4|socks5|http}
 --proxy-auth {user|user:pass}
These would be good long options and better than the --http-proxy,
--http-server, ... options for sure.
I do like the idea of -x, -X and --auth though.

I don't like just --auth since the name itself doesn't convey "proxy
authentication" to me, and this can cause problems in the future if some other
non-mutually exclusive option can take some other type of authentication.

Maybe we can just go the route of OpenBSD Netcat, but add in our long options:

  -x, --proxy
  -X, --proxy-type
  -P, --proxy-auth

It's just that mixing the short forms with --proxy-auth, or the long forms
with --x-auth, don't go well together IMO, and I also don't really want to
have --x-auth or whatever be a synonym for --proxy-auth.

So how's this?  Any other (even completely different) ideas are still of
course welcome.

My thruppence.

jah

Thanks jah, I really appreciate it.