Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Lua snippit] print_hex

From: "Patrick Donnelly" <batrick.donnelly () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 23:04:50 -0600

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com> wrote:

Patrick Donnelly wrote:
That looks fine. I put the "out" local out of the function definition
to prevent the string from repeatedly being remade (numbers are
constant folded but not strings). I did this mainly to expose people
on the list to some good practices (among other things I did), even
though it probably won't make a huge difference in a debugging
function. If you moved it inside because you didn't want to clutter
the surrounding function (the file) with variables, you can surround
the print_hex function with do ... end to force scoping.

I'm pretty sure Brandon, I and others have brought this up in the past, but it
would be awesome to have a "Best Practices" section (short is fine) in the
Nmap docs/book somewhere on Lua coding, and any gotchas that could get us who
come from many other languages (I think most people here learned Lua solely
for NSE... I know I did).  I know Brandon recently posted a link on learning
Lua from a Perl background, but I've never been much of a Perl guy.

And also anything we can do to make things more efficient.  I don't know how
the Lua interpreter works wrt optimizations or whathaveyou, which is perhaps
another good reason for having some docs on this.

I would do this if Fyodor asked me to (it may be out of the scope of
his book). I learned most of what I know from reading PiL (Programming
in Lua), the Lua Manual, and reading other's code.

Cheers,

--
-Patrick Donnelly

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing
to do and always a clever thing to say."

-Will Durant