Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Service name capitalization in Nmap?

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:54:34 -0500

The idea of keeping the lower-cased notation for nmap output and
places where nmap output is directly referenced while using the proper
upper-cased notation when speaking about a protocol in general sounds
good to me.

Nmap calls a port that seems to be listening with an SSH server 'ssh'

When nmap finds something that looks like a secure HTTP server, it
sticks an 'ssl' in there because it might not be HTTPS.

I like to think of what nmap displays as a best guess and therefore
not tied to syntactic rules of upper / lower.

In the same vein, I don't see why 'domain' needs to be changed to
'dns'.  That really depends on why you chose to have 'domain' there in
the first place.  Does that reason no longer exist?

-Jason