Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Service name capitalization in Nmap?

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 22:28:19 -0700

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 05:20:18AM +0000, Brandon Enright wrote:

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 23:31:19 -0500 or thereabouts Kris Katterjohn
<katterjohn () gmail com> wrote:

...snip...

I really dislike the capitalization in the output.

I got a sentence typed in reply when I said to myself: "I better read
Kris's response first."  The above is the *exact* sentence I typed :-)

I was one of those reviewers torn by the capitalization in the book.
When it comes to the console-output though lower-case is the One True
Way.

OK, OK, maybe we should leave the Nmap output alone.  My next idea is
to keep Nmap output as it is, but use the "proper" capitalization in
the documentation paragraphs.  So it might look like:

Example 1.2. Scanning scanme.nmap.org
PORT    STATE  SERVICE VERSION
22/tcp  open   ssh     OpenSSH 4.3 (protocol 2.0)
25/tcp  closed smtp
53/tcp  open   domain  ISC BIND 9.3.4
70/tcp  closed gopher
80/tcp  open   http    Apache httpd 2.2.2 ((Fedora))
113/tcp closed auth

As shown in Example 1.2, the server has the SSH, domain, and HTTP ports open.

The alternative is what we would do right now, which is:

As shown in Example 1.2, the server has the ssh, domain, and http ports open.

In other news, I'm seriously considering changing port 53 from
'domain' to 'dns' in nmap-services, since that is what it is almost
always called.

Cheers,
Fyodor