Nmap Development mailing list archives

Testing packages for Zenmap on Mac OS X now available

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 23:33:25 -0600

We now have preliminary binary packages for Zenmap on Mac OS X. There
are Intel-only and universal variants.

http://nmap.org/dist/zenmap-4.60-i386-test1.dmg (9.9 MB)
http://nmap.org/dist/zenmap-4.60-universal-test1.dmg (18 MB)

This is our first shot a making really good Nmap and Zenmap packages for
OS X. To get there we need your help. Please try them out and write back
with your impressions.

One issue we need to figure out is how to distribute the Nmap
command-line programs. The packages above only include Zenmap, so you
need a separate installation of Nmap (see the included README for some
notes on that). Here are a few ideas I've had:

1. Include the command-line programs in the same binary package, and
   have the user copy them somewhere convenient.

2. Make an installer that copies Nmap command-line programs to /usr/bin
   and Zenmap.app to /Applications.

3. Make a package for the command-line programs and a separate package
   for Zenmap that would have the programs embedded within it. This has
   the disadvantage that the two versions of Nmap could get out of sync.

Here are current known issues from the README:

Zenmap doesn't run as root. I haven't found a convenient way to run it
as root. You can do it by peeking inside the application bundle:
        sudo /Volumes/Zenmap-4.60/Zenmap.app/Contents/MacOS/zenmap
But there has to be a better way. Please write nmap-dev () insecure org if
you have suggestions.

/usr/local/bin is not in the default PATH. As mentioned above, currently
you have to install Nmap separately. When Nmap is compiled from source,
by default it is installed in /usr/local/bin. But /usr/local/bin is
*not* in the default OS X PATH! You will see an error in Zenmap:
"[Errno 2] No such file or directory". I don't recommend installing Nmap
with a prefix of /usr, but you can make a symbolic link from
/usr/bin/nmap to /usr/local/bin/nmap and it will work fine.

Running the application from a directory whose name contains a space
fails. The wrapper scripts necessary to package GTK+ and Pango need to
carefully escape paths in the files they write.

David Fifield