Nmap Development mailing list archives

[RFC] Output file option for capturing service and os fingerprints

From: Tom Sellers <nmap () fadedcode net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 17:25:56 -0500

I have concept for a patch that I might try my hand at writing.
Before I do this I want to make sure that the change is something
that others would find useful and has a chance of being accepted.

What I would like to do is add the ability to specify an output
file on the command line that would be used to capture service
and os fingerprints.  It would need to work in addition is any
other requested output formats.

In short what I have in mind is using a command like this:

nmap -sV -O -R -oFP fingerprints.txt --append-output 192.168.1.1/24
nmap -sV -O -R -oFP fingerprints.txt --append-output 192.168.2.1/24

The goal would be to be able to scan multiple large network segments
and then check the files for unidentified services and devices.

I have some very basic c skills and looking at the code this change
looks like something I might be able to do. For the service portion
I think most of the changes would be in the program argument handling
section in nmap.cc, the output header file, some changes around
822 in output.cc, and then making sure the file is closed properly.

Any thoughts on this?  Oh, if there is already a simple way to do
this please break out the clue stick and fill me in.

Thanks,

Tom