Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Zenmap Compare really broken?

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 17:11:05 -0600

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 11:24:33AM -0600, Kris Katterjohn wrote:
I was using Zenmap (SVN) and trying out the Compare Results feature.  I
opened two XML files I wanted to view the differences between (mainly
just to test it out), but nothing happened.  When I clicked "Open in
Browser" to see if that would do anything, it just said to select two
files to diff.

Brokenness Question: Doesn't Zenmap support straight XML files or just
the USR thing?  I thought it used both, but maybe this is causing some
of my problems.

Hi Kris. I think I have fixed this.

There was indeed a bug that prevented plain Nmap XML files from being
compared. The comparison window was checking the Nmap output of each
selected scan against the empty string to see if a scan had been
selected or not. When you loaded a scan whose output *is* the empty
string (a plain Nmap XML output file), it falsely assumed that you
hadn't selected a scan yet.

You still don't get anything from the HTML browser view, because that
only compares the text outputs. Now it gives a more helpful error
message explaining the situation instead of claiming you haven't
selected two scans yet. I decided to allow it to open the browser if
even one of the scans has text output, although it's not very helpful if
only one does because you get an all-insertions or all-deletions diff.

David