Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Zenmap Compare really broken?

From: bensonk () acm wwu edu
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 16:25:41 -0700

I really like the idea of it being an external program.  I'd use it to
keep track of changes on the servers I run.  Loose coupling and modular
design is for the win.  Zenmap could run the compare script on each pair
of saved scan files in order and present a resultant chronological
report of how your network has changed over time.

If you could somehow tag the xml output files, you could pass the
comparison tool a tag and it could run it on all the outputs with that
tag.  This would require some sort of zenmap database to keep track of
scan results, though.  Does anything like this exist already, or is
anything like it in the plans?  It seems like with the web 2.0 frenzy
tags are getting all popular.  While popularity is often not a good
metric for usefulness, I think tags have proved to be a useful tool.  I
won't go so far as to suggest adding a "find your scan by tag cloud"
option -- that'd just be silly.

Benson