Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Autoconf

From: Christopher Owen <chris.owen () consault com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 02:21:53 -0700

Fyodor,

nmap is definitely not far behind then!  I got confused by the
AC_PREREQ because the only way I know how to make configure.ac files
involves making a template with autoscan first, and then modifying it
to suit.

autoscan defines the AC_PREREQ in that case.

My apologies for my oversight!

I also just realized that there are multiple configure files, which
explains why when I regenerated the configure script in the root
directory that I continued to see the error.  Two of the rm messages
go away.

When I try and run the latest autoreconf -f it fails with autoheader

   autoheader: warning: missing template: BSDI
   autoheader: Use AC_DEFINE([BSDI], [], [Description])
   autoheader: warning: missing template: BSD_NETWORKING
   autoheader: warning: missing template: DEC
   autoheader: warning: missing template: FREEBSD
   autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_IP_IP_SUM
   autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_OPENSSL
   autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_SOCKADDR_SA_LEN
   autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_STRUCT_ICMP
   autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_STRUCT_IP
   autoheader: warning: missing template: HPUX
   autoheader: warning: missing template: IRIX
   autoheader: warning: missing template: LINUX
   autoheader: warning: missing template: MACOSX
   autoheader: warning: missing template: NETBSD
   autoheader: warning: missing template: OPENBSD
   autoheader: warning: missing template: PCAP_TIMEOUT_IGNORED
   autoheader: warning: missing template: SOLARIS
   autoheader: warning: missing template: SPRINTF_RETURNS_STRING
   autoheader: warning: missing template: STUPID_SOLARIS_CHECKSUM_BUG
   autoheader: warning: missing template: SUNOS
   autoreconf: /usr/local/bin/autoheader failed with exit status: 1

If I try and run the following command, if has errors in a number of
places:

   find . -name "configure.*" -execdir sudo /usr/local/bin/autoconf -f
\;

The error:

   aclocal.m4:17: error: this file was generated for autoconf 2.61.
   You have another version of autoconf.  If you want to use that,
   you should regenerate the build system entirely.
   aclocal.m4:17: the top level
   autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 63

I'm afraid I'm reaching the limits of my understanding of the GNU
Build Tools.

Is this of any use to nmap?  Should I keep looking into it?

  Christopher Owen
  e: chris.owen () consault com
  c: 778-997-9265
  p: 800-636-8508

  -----

  Exploit Lab Dojo at EusecWest 2008 in London, May 19,20th.
  www.eusecwest.com