Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re:

From: Diman Todorov <diman.todorov () univie ac at>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:29:17 +0100

Hello Anirudh,

On Mar 18, 2008, at 10:18 AM, Anirudh Sharma wrote:

hi to all nmappers , Saw Nmap's participation in GSoc 2007.
Found that real good and worth indulging in  Now that I want to
submit a
modification in the Nmap modules, i face a communication problem-
I access internet from my College's internet LAN, where the access
to IRC is
blocked.
We are looking forward to your application.

1. Is there an alternate method to communicate with nmap enthusiasts ?
Something like an IRC proxy would help..
The main way of communication for nmap developers is the nmap-dev
mailing list. If you follow it closely, you won't miss anything.

2. What all programming languages / IDEs are required to be
comfortable with
in order to proceed for the projects.
Nmap is written in C/C++ so you should be quite comfortable with
these. Lua skills are a plus. Also you should have, or get some
experience in using the unix autotools. Another requirement is that
you are able to write your code to run on both, windows and unix. On
windows Nmap is built using Visual Studio (either express or
professional). How much you should know in which area depends on what
you would like to do for Nmap.

3. Will the ideas be strictly provided by the core nmap team, or
students
can also propose their own ideas. *
There are not many students who dare to propose their own ideas. So
if you can devise a proposal and convince us that it is a good idea,
it will definitely raise your chances of acceptance.

cheers,
Diman

P.S. the soc () insecure org mailing list is currently not in use; it is
used for the communication between students and mentors during the
SoC program.