Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re:

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 02:37:53 -0700

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:29:17AM +0100, Diman Todorov wrote:

3. Will the ideas be strictly provided by the core nmap team, or
students
can also propose their own ideas. *
There are not many students who dare to propose their own ideas. So
if you can devise a proposal and convince us that it is a good idea,
it will definitely raise your chances of acceptance.

That is a good point.  And even if we don't think your idea is ideal
for SoC, proposing new ideas can help.  Some applicants have submitted
clever new ideas which I didn't think were a good match for Nmap.  But
they showed so much skill and creativity and research in describing
them, that I talked to the student and agreed to accept them as a
feature creeper or one of the other listed projects.

P.S. the soc () insecure org mailing list is currently not in use; it is
used for the communication between students and mentors during the
SoC program.

Actually the ideas page asks applicants to join the SoC list.  We'll
use that for program-specific discussions and reminders until the
final sponsorship choices are made.  Then it will be reduced to just
the sponsored folks.  This is how it happened the last couple of years
too.

Cheers,
-F