Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Zenmap (name and artwork)

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 22:13:20 -0800

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 11:42:10PM +0100, Diman Todorov wrote:
Hello,

so here's my second attempt at a zenmap logo: http://diman.todorov.googlepages.com/zenmap2.png

I don't like the fonts at all. I might eventually try drawing the
"zenmap" part free handedly.

Thanks Diman.  This looks quite promising.  I wonder if there is a way
to integrate the Insecure.Org eye into the figure, rather than having
it floating in the corner.  For example, the midsection made with his
arms is shaped in an oval like an eye.  Maybe he could be holding an
iris.  Or perhaps he could just be holding a whole eye (maybe a much
more simply drawn one than the insecure logo).  Or maybe that would
just add too much complexity to the simple shape.

Do you have ideas for adding colors to this?  I suppose it could all
just be on a colored background as a square.  Or maybe it could all be
inside a zen-style circle.  For example, look at the circles
incorporated in these images sent by Jah:

http://www.buddhistforbundet.no/zen/zen1.gif
http://www.tipmonkies.com/wp-content/images/ZenLike.jpg
http://www.zenshiatsuseattle.com/images/zen_intro.jpg
http://entwinements.com/blog-mt3/images/Zen-Dry_garden.jpg

I'm interested in seeing your Zenmap font selections or freehand
drawings.

Maybe the monk would stand out more with thicker lines, but it is hard
to tell.

We would probably need the final version in SVG so we could scale it.

I also liked this Logo that Jah sent:

http://tomlawdesign.com/portfolio/zensolutions/logo/zen-logo-large.jpg

Zen solutions doesn't seem to be using that logo any more, so I sent
them an email asking if they would give us permission to make a
derivative out of it for Zenmap.  We could probably change the
power-on button their budda is holding into an Nmap eye.  If they say
yes, we can consider that as another option.

Cheers,
Fyodor