Nmap Development mailing list archives

[RFC] Lua bindings for OpenSSL md5 and sha1 hash functions

From: "Thomas Buchanan" <TBuchanan () thecompassgrp net>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 11:39:51 -0600

Hello,

So, I was working on another NSE script recently, and needed the ability
to calculate SHA1 hashes.  I did a Google search, and found Lua bindings
against the OpenSSL library for MD5 and SHA1 hashes[1].  Using that code
as a starting point, I created a new NSE library called openssl, which
includes two functions, digest_md5() and digest_sha1().

These two functions take a string as the primary argument, and an
optional boolean value for a second.  By default, they return the hex
representation of MD5 or SHA1 digest calculated from the string.  If the
second boolean argument is true, they return the raw 16 or 20 digit
digests.

Attached is a small archive which contains the code for the NSE library,
and a small test script that demonstrates usage.  I've also attached a
patch to Makefile.in to compile the library.

Example output from included test script:
Host script results:
|  Hash test: MD5 and SHA1 hashes of IP address 192.168.128.1
|  MD5: bb22aeb2bcb0e41c3a8b0468abf14bbc
|  SHA1: 3c7207e8da6aad45263a0263c78bb0ec36e9e188
|  MD5 raw: ."......:..h..K.
|_ SHA1 raw: <r...j.E&:.c....6...

Quick instructions for testing the patch:

cd to nmap source tree (svn checkout or nmap-4.23RC3)
$ tar jxf /path/to/lua-openssl.tar.bz2
$ patch -p1 < /path/to/lua-openssl-Makefile.patch
$ ./configure --with-openssl (other config args)
.. make, etc.

This library requires HAVE_OPENSSL to be defined.  I haven't tested it
on Windows at all, but my understanding is that the Windows build system
doesn't currently build against OpenSSL.  Does anyone have any pointers
for compiling under Windows with OpenSSL?

Since Nmap is currently in feature freeze, I'm certainly not suggesting
this be included at the moment, but I thought I'd put it out there to
see if there was any interest, and to get feedback and comments.  I'm
not too familiar with the OpenSSL library, or Lua bindings, but if
there's interest in exposing other functions to Lua/NSE, I'd be happy to
look into it.

Thanks,

Thomas

by the way, I found a convenient way to calculate md5 [2] and sha1 [3]
hash values online.

[1] http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/ftp/lua/
[2] http://people.eku.edu/styere/Encrypt/JS-MD5.html
[3] http://people.eku.edu/styere/Encrypt/JS-SHA1.html