Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: [RFC] Lua bindings for OpenSSL md5 and sha1 hash functions

From: Matthew Boyle <matt_boyle32 () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 20:07:06 +0000

From: TBuchanan () thecompassgrp net
So, I was working on another NSE script recently, and needed the ability
to calculate SHA1 hashes.  I did a Google search, and found Lua bindings
against the OpenSSL library for MD5 and SHA1 hashes[1].  Using that code
as a starting point, I created a new NSE library called openssl, which
includes two functions, digest_md5() and digest_sha1().

cool!  i've been meaning to get the luacrypto ( http://luacrypto.luaforge.net/ )
package working with NSE for a while now.  it provides access to the full set of
openSSL message digests, as well as HMAC and the random number generator.

These two functions take a string as the primary argument, and an
optional boolean value for a second.  By default, they return the hex
representation of MD5 or SHA1 digest calculated from the string.  If the
second boolean argument is true, they return the raw 16 or 20 digit
digests.

i think it would be better to have separate functions for the raw digest output,
rather than using the boolean field.  digest_{md5,sha1}_raw(), perhaps?

Since Nmap is currently in feature freeze, I'm certainly not suggesting
this be included at the moment, but I thought I'd put it out there to
see if there was any interest, and to get feedback and comments.  I'm
not too familiar with the OpenSSL library, or Lua bindings, but if
there's interest in exposing other functions to Lua/NSE, I'd be happy to
look into it.

at some point i intend to finish off the X509 bindings i started last year.

i remember someone expressing an interest in having some interface for
creating ASN.1 objects, for SNMP and the like.  openSSL would be one way to
provide that, since plenty of people will already have it available.  on the other
hand, the API looks quite nasty, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of
documentation...

--matt