Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Zenmap (name and artwork)

From: bensonk () acm wwu edu
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:17:16 -0800

I like the way it looks.  And, I am not trying to be critical, but I'm
in a class right now about the religions of china and japan.  I feel
compelled to point out that Zen is a form of Buddhism, which (as most of
you already know, I'm sure) is a religion that started in India.  Yin
and Yang are part of the original Chinese belief system from before
there was any formal religion.  They are a part of the Chinese world
view, and largely associated with Taoism, which comes from China.
So, using the name "Zen" with the Yin and Yang symbol seems somewhat
incongruous to me, as it is mixing Zen Buddhism and Taoism.  Of course,
the Zen form of Buddhism came from China.  Please forgive me if this has
already been considered or discussed, or if my understanding is lacking
in depth.

I am not saying the logo is a bad idea, I just thought I'd point out the
distance between Yin and Yang and the concepts of Zen.  In fact, Zen
itself was a sort of backlash against having too many symbols.  So, I'm
not sure if you will be able to find a symbol that really meshes with
Zen concepts at all.

Just my $0.02 and I may be over thinking this way too much.

Benson