Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: nmap exploits / nukes / crashes Minolta Dialta Printers

From: doug () hcsw org
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 14:13:26 -0700

Hi Jacob!

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 05:40:44PM +0800 or thereabouts, Jacob Jarick wrote:
I was testing out nmap today on various multifunction printer devices
today (mainly curious to see which ones are using linux) and in the
process I managed to nuke 2 off our printers.
Minolta Dialta Di552
Minolta Dialta Di200

If anyone else has access to these printer brands I would be
interested to hear your results. When I get some more free time I
shall see what other Multifunction devices die when OS fingerprinting
them via nmap.

Very interesting results. That whole line of printers
seems to be pretty fragile. I've seen strange behaviour
due to version scanning them as well. See the second
section in this blog post:

http://hcsw.org/blog.pl/26

Also, in my blog posts there are examples of crashing other
printers, access points, RAID controllers, firewalls (!),
and much more. Never underestimate the shoddy construction
of modern software!

Best,

Doug