Nmap Development mailing list archives

nmap 4.20 and 4.22 on OS X + VMware issue

From: "Alex Nikitin" <niksoft () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:22:46 -0400

Trying to run NMap v4.20 and v4.22SOC2 on OS X On an intel mac.

First when compiling 4.22 the compile gave me a

Building NmapFE graphical frontend
cd . && aclocal
aclocal: configure.ac: 9: macro `AM_PATH_GTK_2_0' not found in library
make[1]: *** [aclocal.m4] Error 1
make: *** [nmapfe/nmapfe] Error 2

error, so i used --without-nmapfe option and the compile went through fine.

The problem is that I am running vmware fusion which creates 2 vmnet
devices. Every time i run nmap as root now, i get

Starting Nmap 4.22SOC2 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2007-08-20 14:48 EDT
getinterfaces: Failed to open ethernet interface (vmnet8). A possible cause
on BSD operating systems is running out of BPF devices (see
http://seclists.org/lists/nmap-dev/2006/Jan-Mar/0014.html).
QUITTING!

Interesting part is that if i run nmap as user it will actually scan (or so
it appears)...

that's a -vv output, so unless there is (and i know that there is) some sort
of a debugging mode i can use to troubleshoot it further for you guys, i
would gladly do so.

--
This work as well as my thinking is licensed under a Creative Commons
Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 License.