Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap 4.22SOC5 Released

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 21:39:19 -0600

On Sat, Aug 18, 2007 at 08:21:42PM -0700, Fyodor wrote:
Please give this a try, with a particular emphasis on testing Umit on
Windows and UNIX systems.  And then please remember to report your
results to nmap-dev.  Even if everything worked perfectly, we'd love
to hear your thoughts on Umit.

I noticed a couple of things on Windows.

If you don't check the box to register the Nmap path, then Umit doesn't
work because it can't find the nmap binary. Maybe it's possible to
configure Umit to use the path where Nmap is installed?

The windows installer presents a copy of the GPL and says something like
"you must accept the agreement to install the software." The GPL doesn't
require this; see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#ClickThrough.
I remember seeing a GPL-covered program (I don't remember which), whose
installer said something like "Unlike other software licenses, the GPL
does not require you to accept it just to install and run the program,"
and instead of the button saying "Accept", it just said "Cool!". It
would be good to see something like this in Nmap's installer.

David Fifield