Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap 4.20 and 4.22 on OS X + VMware issue

From: "Kurt Grutzmacher" <grutz () jingojango net>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 16:19:14 -0700

There is still an issue with the vmware interfaces and bpf. By
shutting down vmware fusion you can get nmap to run. I've not had any
time to dive further into why.

On 8/20/07, DePriest, Jason R. <jrdepriest () gmail com> wrote:
On 8/20/07, Alex Nikitin  wrote:
Trying to run NMap v4.20 and v4.22SOC2 on OS X On an intel mac.

First when compiling 4.22 the compile gave me a

Building NmapFE graphical frontend
cd . && aclocal
aclocal: configure.ac: 9: macro `AM_PATH_GTK_2_0' not found in library
make[1]: *** [aclocal.m4] Error 1
make: *** [nmapfe/nmapfe] Error 2

error, so i used --without-nmapfe option and the compile went through
fine.

The problem is that I am running vmware fusion which creates 2 vmnet
devices. Every time i run nmap as root now, i get

Starting Nmap 4.22SOC2 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2007-08-20 14:48 EDT
getinterfaces: Failed to open ethernet interface (vmnet8). A possible
cause
on BSD operating systems is running out of BPF devices (see
http://seclists.org/lists/nmap-dev/2006/Jan-Mar/0014.html).
QUITTING!

Interesting part is that if i run nmap as user it will actually scan (or
so
it appears)...

that's a -vv output, so unless there is (and i know that there is) some
sort
of a debugging mode i can use to troubleshoot it further for you guys, i
would gladly do so.

--
This work as well as my thinking is licensed under a Creative Commons
Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 License.

See the announcements for SOC3
(http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2007/q3/0171.html) and SOC5
(http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2007/q3/0190.html).  Maybe you could try
compiling one of those instead?

To my knowledge, SOC5 was just to fix some Umit in Windows issues and
I never saw a SOC4.

-Jason

--
NOTICE:  This email is being sent in clear-text across the public
Internet.  Therefore, any attempts to include unenforceable legalese