Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE Script] Microsoft SQL Server detection

From: Diman Todorov <diman.todorov () chello at>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:40:17 +0200

Hello Thomas,

On 13.06.2007, at 04:52, Thomas Buchanan wrote:

All my scripts have been sent as attachments, and show up as such in
both of my mail clients (Outlook and Thunderbird):

Not sure why you are not seeing them that way.  Perhaps the
Content-Disposition header for the attachment?  I'll check the options
on my mailer to see if I can change that setting.
I am sorry then :) I need to look into my email client then.

I guess the main reason that the get_real_version() function is inside
action() is because it uses a socket variable that is defined
inside the
action() namespace.  Maybe that's poor programming practice on my
part,
but it seemed to work fine, and I didn't think too much about it.  I'm
happy to rework the script to move that function into it's own name
space if it makes it more readable / maintainable.
It's not at all poor programming. Using a variable which is in the
local scope is a perfectly good reason to do it your way. Depending
on how things turn out with our SoC NSE coder your script might
undergo some refactoring prior to being merged with the nmap unstable
branch but it's nothing to worry about.

cheers,
Diman