Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap Problem - Windows

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 23:33:05 -0500

On 6/12/07, Tom Owen  wrote:
I have downloaded Nmap version 4.20 and have the latest winpcap on my
Windows 2000.  When I click on the nmap icon (with the giant eyeball) in my
c drive, it opens up the command prompt, scrolls through what I guess is the
starting help/readme text, and closes.  This whole process takes less than
two seconds.  So, while I have all the necessary "equipment", and can even
get it to open up, it closes before I can do anything.  I've also tried
running it from the command prompt, but that doesn't work either.

Oh well - if it doesn't work, I guess this gives me another excuse to switch
to Linux :)  Btw, Nmap looked cool in the second Matrix movie.

Thanks in advance!

Nmap for Windows doesn't come with a GUI.  When you double-click on
that file, you are running the command-line version.

You need to open a command prompt and browse to the directory where
nmap is (or if you put it in your path, wherever).  Then run nmap.

All the stuff that scrolls by is the usage information.

Alternatively, you can check out some of the front-ends for nmap that
do support Windows such as Umit (http://umit.sourceforge.net),
NmapView (http://www.craftysoftwares.com/NmapView.htm), or nmapgui
(http://home.no.net/grodaas/nmap/).

Good luck!

-Jason

-Jason

--
NOTICE:  This email is being sent in clear-text across the public
Internet.  Therefore, any attempts to include unenforceable legalese