Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap 4.20 on Mac OS X

From: Hayden Stainsby <hds () caffeineconcepts com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 22:19:42 +0000

On 6 Nov 2006, at 21:37, Fyodor wrote:

On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 05:28:51PM +0100, Christophe Thil wrote:

I just tried running the latest Nmpa Alpha on Mac OS X/PPC. Sadly,
all interesing scans (-sS for example) and OS Discovery don't work.
Only the connect() scan returns a result.

Nmap claims the host to be down; forcing with -P0 overrides this and
Nmap generates probe packets, but the responses aren't processed.

Thanks for the report.  I don't have a MAC, but Nmap developer Diam
Todorov was able to reproduce the problem on his PPC Mac.  And his
friend apparently had similar problems on X86 MAC.  I'm surprised we
haven't heard about this before.  Doing a binary search on Nmap
revisions, we found that the problem seemed to first appear in
4.20ALPHA5.  Libpcap was upgraded from 0.9.3 to 0.9.4, but that looks
like a red herring since Nmap seems to use OS X's system libpcap
instead for both versions.  We reproduced your result that Nmap was
sending the pakcets properly, but wasn't seeing the responses.

ALPHA5 has a few changes which could conceivably
have caused this.  These seem to be the most likely ones:

o Nmap now uses the (relatively) new libpcap pcap_get_selectable_fd
  API on systems which support it.  This means that we no longer need
  to hack the included Pcap to better support Linux.  So Nmap will now
  link with an existing system libpcap by default on that platform if
  one is detected.  Thanks to Doug Hoyte for the patch.

o Nmap now supports IP options with the new --ip-options flag.  You
  can specify any options in hex, or use "R" (record route), "T"
  (record timestamp), "U") (record route & timestamp), "S [route]"
  (strict source route), or "L [route]" (loose source route).  Specify
  --packet-trace to display IP options of responses.  For further
  information and examples, see http://insecure.org/nmap/man/ and
  http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2006/q3/0052.html .  Thanks to Marek
  Majkowski for writing and sending the patch.

o Applied a bunch of small internal cleanup patches by Kris Katterjohn
  (kjak(a)ispwest.com).

Is anyone with a MAC able to investigate this further?  Diman had to
go because it is getting pretty late in Austria.  Nmap alpha4
(working) and alpha5 (broken) can be found at
http://insecure.org/nmap/dist/?C=M&O=D .

Thanks,
Fyodor

I'm probably not much help actually solving the problem, but I'm more
than happy to pass along process trace files if they're of any use
(PPC/Intel). Just yell.

--
Hayden