Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Scanning Printers

From: Hari Sekhon <hpsekhon () googlemail com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:40:55 +0100

Thanks Doug,
  I realised this must be changeable after emailing Fyodor and poked
around myself last night, found the line with exclude for 9100 and
changed it to the following:

Exclude T:9100-9107

This worked for me. I've tested with the old Exclude T:9100 and loads of
junk gets printed

7 ports (other than 9100) x the headers sent = lots of wasted paper !

But after changing the line to "Exclude T:9100-9107" in the
nmap-service-probes file my printers haven't printed anything from the
probes since service detection headers don't get sent to the JetDirect
ports now.

Would it be possible to change this in the next release of Nmap so it's
the default? Who should I speak to about that?

Thanks

-h

--
Hari Sekhon

doug () hcsw org wrote:
Hi Hari!

Good question and as Fyodor pointed out in a previous post, the ports
excluded from version scans are specified by the Exclude directive in the
nmap-service-probes file as described here:

http://insecure.org/nmap/vscan/vscan-fileformat.html

The current version

http://insecure.org/nmap/data/nmap-service-probes

has the following line:

Exclude T:9100

so Nmap only excludes TCP port 9100. When I added this feature I didn't
know that some printers also do this on ports 9101-9107! I guess we need
to decide whether to add these ports to the default Exclude directive
or not.

As you realise, the entire practice of skipping version detection on certain
ports opens up a small hole. Hiding daemons on these ports potentially
becomes somewhat easier - except obviously not against intelligent users
like yourself who understand this. :)

I don't know of any other common uses for these ports and see no reason
to not add them to the default Exclude directive. Anyone?

Best,

Doug